Despite the deadly pandemic of 2020, it was a year that many industries in the world enjoyed a lot of attention. One of such industries is the Nigerian music industry.
2020 saw a lot of A-list artistes release impressive bodies of work for their fans to listen to, and quite a lot of them released albums which have done amazing numbers on streaming platforms. Here are some of the top albums.
1) Made in Lagos (Wizkid): On October 29th, Wizkid released his eagerly anticipated album, Made in Lagos to wide acclaim from music fans all over the country.
The album contains 14 tracks, including features with Tems, Burna Boy, Skepta, H.E.R, Damian Marley, Tay Iwar, Ella Mai, and Projexx among others. The album took only about 9 days for the album to reach 100 million streams worldwide.
2) A Better Time (Davido): Less than a month after Made in Lagos was released, Davido dropped his own album, A Better Time in November 2020.
A Better Time was intended by Davido to better his numbers than A Good Time, which crossed over 1 billion streams across 5 streaming platforms within one year. Davido featured several top artistes in his album, including Mayorkun, Tiwa Savage, Nicki Minaj, Sauti Sol, Sho Madjozi, Lil Baby, Ckay, Nas, Chris Brown and Young thug, among others. The album has 17 tracks, and many big hitters in the industry worked with him in creating the album.
3) Carpe Diem (Olamide): The YBNL boss released his album without much fanfare, but it was one of the best collections of music to drop in 2020. Artistes featured in the album include Omah Lay, Bella Shmurda, Phyno, Peruzzi and Badboy Timz. It was released on October 8th and contains 12 tracks.
4) Twice as Tall (Burna Boy): African Giant, Burna Boy released his album on August 14th, 2020, it was his 5th studio album. The album contains features from Youssou N’Dour, Naughty by Nature, Sauti Sol, Chris Martin and Stormzy. It ranks as number on the list of the most streamed Nigerian album on Audiomack, having about 153 million streams. The album contains 15 tracks.
5) Celia (Tiwa Savage): Former Mavin first lady, Tiwa Savage released her third studio album on the 27th of August 2020. The album was used to celebrate strong women and contains 13 tracks. It contains features from prominent artistes like Naira Marley, Patoranking, Sam Smith, Stefflon Don, Dice Ailes, Davido, and Hamzaa. It crossed 20 million streams within 24 hours of its release on all streaming platforms, making it the first album by a female African artiste to do so.
Many other artistes released impressive albums, including YBNL’s Fireboy DML whose Apollo album has over 90 million streams on Audiomack only. Adekunle Gold also dropped his third album, Afropop Vol. 1, as did DJ Cuppy with Original Copy. Kizz Daniel also released his second studio album, King of Love in June 2020.
These albums were instrumental as people lived through the coronavirus lockdown. Music and online betting were so important this year, more than ever before. Looking at sites like NetBet Nigeria had a huge presence on their records, but streaming sites like Spotify and Audiomack even saw more Nigerian patronage.